3/01/2012

Explosion in Istanbul!

There has been an explosion in Istanbul. I just want to reassure everyone, especially Mart and Babara, that we are far away on the other side of the Bosphorus. It appears that a bomb, carried on a motorbike, blew up a police bus in İmrahor Street, Beyoglu, at 9:00h this morning, near the Golden Horn. The Prime Minister, Erdogan, has described it as a typical PKK operation, as they have targeted the police in the past. So far they haven't reported any deaths, but 16 people have been injured, one seriously.

We were planning to stay at home anyway, as it snowed rather heavily in the night and it is very cold. So I repeat, we are quite safe, and would know nothing about it were it not for the news programmes!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing that you heard this!! Thanks for letting us know! Snow has stopped now, after early morning drama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, at one point I couldn't believe how heavy the snow was, but it seems to have cleared up now, and the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also needed to reassure Rebecca's parents that she was not in any danger!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have your thoughts on any aspect of my blog.

Press Centre

Press Centre
I couldn't resist this one!