10/07/2014

Amber Ridge, KZN, South Africa


Amber Ridge, nestled in the mountains, near Howick, KZN

Although I will still be visiting other family in South Africa in the future, this was my last visit there to my daughter Jane and family; as they are relocating to Australia. Even though Jane was busy winding up her affairs, we still had time to have fun.

Our first visit was to our long-time friends the Clulows. They have moved from their farm in Boston to a retirement village called Amber Ridge, near Howick in KZN.



Impala roam freely around the property

You might think the words "retirement village" indicate something quiet and boring, but nothing is further from the truth! Although there is a large frail care unit, and assisted living units, it is more of a recreational village. There are two heated swimming pools; a library; a communal dining room; a snooker room; a gymnasium; a pub; an Astroturf bowling green; two tennis courts; bass and trout fishing dams; a substantial wilderness area for walks, including picnic spots, which allow for large game, like zebra, to roam freely among the houses; plus a 350 seater auditorium with a separate bar area, and an 80 seater functions room. So, as you can see, retirement doesn't necessarily mean boring!


We spotted these warthogs heading for someone's garden!


Our friends produced a wonderful lunch


The grandchildren; mine and theirs.

I do so love catching up with old friends, although it becomes difficult when they are spread around the world! I guess I just have to keep travelling onward!

Elizabeth Coughlan

2 comments:

I would love to have your thoughts on any aspect of my blog.

Press Centre

Press Centre
I couldn't resist this one!